Visit South Africa's biggest city- Johannesburg
Image Source - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campuses_of_the_University_of_the_Witwatersrand
Are you searching for a beautiful city to travel in Africa? Here's an offer to a glittering and shinning golden metropolis that stands in the global south.
For about five decades, South Africa has been forcibly set up under the ruling of apartheid policies. Johannesburg, containing the largest reservoir of gold bars in the world were mainly controlled under this law. The country was having a difficult time to evolve but not until it was already abolished in 1991. From then on, many urban areas like Johannesburg progressively transformed into a place of economic prosperity and expanded tourism. The city's condition then motivated its people to build a landmark as a symbol of Johannesburg's cultural, historical and global identity. It is called 'Witwatersrand'- ridge that serves as a watershed (the dividing line between adjacent river systems) on which the city stands.
Here are some of the glimpses when visiting the 'Witwatersrand' city.
- High altitude and mild climate- big factor for tourists
- Number of lakes and dams as a result of mining operations.
- City of Gold and other deposited mineral products such as coal and iron supplies.
Famous attractions in the city
- Tribal dancers move with precision to pulsating beats while performing traditional dances.
It is one of the performances that tourists enjoy watching especially at Gold Reef City, a working mine and reconstruction of the city’s gold rush days.
- Carlton Center which is located in Central Johannesburg ranks as one of the city’s tallest buildings. On the 50th floor is Carlton Panorama, a 201 meter observation desk. The view encompasses the beauty and contrast of Johannesburg.
- Carlton Hotel is an imaginative modern architecture in the heart of the city.
- Headgear of a working gold mine symbolizes the industry upon which Johannesburg was built. Only gold has made Johannesburg the nation’s center of industry and commerce.
- A plaza fountain sculpture represents a herd of leaping impala. These swift, graceful antelope live on grasslands in the Eastern and Northern Transvaal.
- The Rissik Street Post Office which was built in 1897 now hails as one of Johannesburg’s oldest buildings. One storey was added in 1902, to celebrate the coronation of King Edward VII of England.
- Africana Museum is a public library that houses historical and geological items.
- Johannesburg Art Gallery typically includes some of the westernized works such as British, Dutch, and French art. It also covers some South African arts.
- Johannesburg Botanic Garden features many magnificent trees and large rose garden.
- Lion Park outside the city reveals lions, zebras, springboks, wildebeests, and other animals.
Johannesburg is truly a modern and exciting city. It is a great place to visit which is often dubbed to be the hub of South Africa’s commercial, financial, industrial and mining undertakings.
Let us know how you like this article. Like it and Rate it below.
Far as the Pacific coast goes is the big country of Australia lying with so much beaches and ocean which makes glaring for tourists to visit. It also goes with magnificent cities to visit for.
In this article, I am listing and describing the five most interesting places to check out in Dubai..
Australia is the land of beaches, exotic animals, and cultures that one should take the experience of. Australia lies in the southern hemisphere and the climate is totally opposite of the northern hemisphere.